Friday, March 1, 2013

Pineapple Farm!


Part of one of my classes is the research and presentation of an organization or ministry with a partner. My friend Emmy and I were able to visit some pineapple (and other things) farms through the Farmers Association of Mukono. SO fascinating!!  The methods of farming they use are really neat to encourage sustainable crops as well as become economically more productive. Since pineapple plants only produce a limited number of fruits, they also plant matoke trees in between the pineapple rows once the plants have reached maturity. The trees provide potassium, which helps fertilize the pineapple and by the time the pineapple is finished producing, the matoke trees have reached their peak. They also use coffee husks as fertilizer. So many of farms grow those 3 things together, not only for the nutritional value of the plants and soil, but also because it allows the farmers to rely on more than one crop. The one organization also teaches farming techniques to the youth as well as puts them in contact with buyers to distribute. Really really neato! At the end of the tour they gave us 3 (giant) bunches of matoke, and 10-15 each of pineapples and avocados. The avocados were the biggest flippin' avocados I've ever seen. So looking forward to eating avocados the size of my face!
OH, also: I was finally informed that matoke is the same thing as plantain. I'm really excited, cause now at home I can make matoke, chapati, and g-nut sauce! 

No comments:

Post a Comment